Sunday 10 February 2013

Too much of work

Life has got a little hectic. I knew this would happen. After a few months of doing more than my fair share of thumb twiddling and feeling generally frustrated and unmotivated in my work role, things have really picked up. I now find myself overwhelmed by the sheer volume of things to be done in the few short weeks left. Add to that the mixture of emotions resulting from the fact that things are coming to an end, and you can only imagine what fun I am to be around!

Thankfully, I am not alone. As the VSO mental health programme draws to an end, we are all feeling it.  Most of my VSO colleagues, and those we work alongside, are looking increasingly tense, tired and cross-eyed right now. One fellow VSOer summed it up for all of us when he recently blogged about his temptation to assume the fetal position. I for one wouldn't hesitate to curl up and join him on the tiles of his rather fancy office (under the fan of course) should he succumb. In true Sri Lankan style, the challenge now is to pack as much big stuff into as small a window as possible. Think it can't possibly fit; that maybe we need more time; that perhaps we should've started earlier? Never fear, in Sri Lanka this is how it's done, and so there is nothing else for it but to knuckle down and crack on whilst trying to limit the emotional outbursts to a minimum.

Whilst it might all feel a little overwhelming, the good news is that it gives me an excuse to share with you one of my favourite Lankanisms. I have mentioned before my love of Sri Lankan English (SLE), and those who have visited from home will confirm that I have picked up a few of the local ways of expressing things. I think it is unavoidable and has often happened without me even noticing. It really does help with making yourself understood. At other times, however, it is quite deliberate, just because I like the way it sounds.

Not only are there a whole host of words and expressions unique to SLE, as well as a particular way of pronouncing things, SLE also has a grammar of its own quite distinct from English as I know it. And there is something quite pleasing about many of these grammatical distinctions. And so, I will end this post by summing up the current state of affairs in perfect SLE**: There is quite simply too much of work and soooo much of emotion!

This I'm sure, along with a few other key phrases, will stick as I return to the UK. I can't imagine there'll be any shortage of opportunities for me to use it as I attempt to adjust to life back in the good old NHS. I am looking forward to catching up with many of you on my return, but its possible you may wish to avoid me and my emotions for a few weeks. However, if you dare and care to join me, I'll be the one curled up on the floor under my desk. If you're lucky, there'll be enough of space for you too.

** certain prepositions are used differently in SLE. The preposition 'of' is used after 'enough' and after 'how much', 'so much' and 'too much': e.g. "Is there enough of salt?" "How much of money do you have?". Taken from A Dictionary of Sri Lankan English by Michael Meyler

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how much of emotion there is going on for you Beth! Here in Brighton I notice growing numbers of references to your return in every day conversations, and a collective growing amount of emotion - excitement, and anticipation and can't waited-ness - between us all. Perhaps a mass fetal position session is required (followed by a grand Bollywood show of course! I reckon after a few beers we could all be top notch performers!!) can't wait xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No beer required, I'm fairly certain you will all be naturals without any need for alcohol...or at least as impressive as me (i.e. not very!). Look forward to seeing you and the idiots very soon xx

      Delete
  2. Sadly Beth, in the NHS these days, the advent of hot desking means that there will not be any room to curl up fetally underneath one! Because you won't have a desk! On hand to help you re-adjust when you get back, don't worry, but just enjoy your remaining time in the sun and come home with some fabulous recipes please (I am seeing "English night" and "Sri Lankan" night as dinner party themes...) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, I may only have hot desks to look forward to, but (being acclimatised to the heat and all)that won't stop me curling up under whichever has most space....until I am moved on to another hot desk for more fetal sweating and sobbing. Look forward to those dinner parties. I'll bring the recipes, you can cook them (assuming you are one of my more domestically gifted friends - Lisa has already commented, so it's not her....think you'll do just fine, whoever you are!) x

      Delete